Attention all hackers and hackerspace members! Do you like creating with atoms instead of bits? Would you like to win fame and fortune? The Alternate Power Initiative wants YOU to design and build an alternative energy vehicle! Their second annual “Race for the Future” will be held in August, 2011 in Whiting, Indiana.
This race challenges you to:
Build a vehicle that can travel five miles powered by an alternate power source and race it through the streets of Whiting Indiana.
Here’s a subset of the rules:
- Vehicle may not be powered solar energy or fuel cells
- Vehicle may not be powered by a device based on existing conventional automotive or truck technology. Piston engines, rotary engines or turbines powered by detonated combustion gasses are not allowed. Piston engines, rotary engines or turbines powered by other sources will be allowed. These gasses would include but not be limited to those created by using gasoline, diesel, natural gas, propane methane or alcohol as fuel.
- Vehicle must be self propelled (no pedal power)
- Vehicle may not be powered by battery or capacitor stored electricity, (brake lights and turn signals may be powered by electricity).
- Vehicle may be charged, (fueled or energized) before 5 mile trial but may not be charged, (fueled or energized) during run.
For full details, visit their website at http://alternatepowerinitiative.com!
Better hurry! There are only 20 entries, and hackerspace Pumping Station: One has already claimed two of them! Who will be next?
If you sign up, please post in the comments!